CS371p Spring 2022 Relena Lai
- What did you do this past week? I spent most of my time working on assignments for OS and studying for the upcoming exam. As for this class, I haven’t done much for Project 2 since I’ve been so preoccupied with other things. So far, I’ve managed to set up and edit some of the files that were given to us previously in Project 1 like the Makefile. Also, not school-related, but I was also designing an invitation suite for my sister’s wedding.
- What’s in your way? It’s been a crazy schedule lately with all the approaching due dates in my classes. I’m also not used to building a project from the ground with no initial skeleton. I’ve been looking into the fstream class for C++, but I still haven’t managed to get it to read an input file properly yet.
- What will you do next week? I have my OS exam Wednesday evening, and then the project is due the day after. I’ll be spending a lot of time preparing for those. I’m planning to work on Project 2 over the weekend.
- What did you think of Paper #5: Single Responsibility Principle? I haven’t heard of this before, but this concept has always been emphasized in object-oriented programming. I think I remember in Data Structures discussing how we need to consider modularity and reusability when designing our code.
- What was your experience of l-values, r-values, pointers, and references? (this question will vary, week to week) The quiz with l-values and r-values was a little confusing because of the wording of the questions. However, the explanation afterward made much more sense. When I used C last semester in Comp Arch, I struggled with pointers and syntax. It wasn’t intuitive to me, and I wasn’t used to directly referencing memory.
- What made you happy this week? Even though I’ve been so busy with school, I still was able to take the time to finish my sister’s invitation suite. All the supplies came in recently, so I’ll be able to assemble the cards and envelopes and ship everything out soon. I’m hoping everyone will like them!
- What’s your pick-of-the-week or tip-of-the-week? I tried making my font. I use an iPad to write my notes, and I’ve been getting hand cramps recently. It was relatively easy to import a custom font into GoodNotes. Since my notes lately have consisted mainly of paragraphs, it’s been so much more convenient to type them.